Wow! Day 1 of Book Con 2019 is in the books. It was so amazing. I met amazing people, some of my favorite authors, and new authors who might soon become favorites.
The Best Parts
- ARC drops! I came home with 16 full books today (and that’s only day 1). Thanks largely in part to my mom who accompanied me, I was able to score almost every book I wanted today.
- The atmosphere. It was so cool to be surrounded by other like-minded bookish individuals. There was never a shortage of conversation topics. I loved every minute of it.
- Learning about what’s coming up for the rest of 2019 and 2020. I was so happy to see what other books are coming out this year and next year. My TBR (and Amazon cart) are literally bursting with books that I have to read.
Things I Learned
- I don’t care for “book bar” or “book wizard” events. It’s super cool to get a free book that is “tailored” to you. While I got books that I will definitely read, I was not aware of the fact that these events were not exclusively YA book. I ended up with some adult fiction (which I probably could have been ok without).
- You don’t need a schedule to have a great time! I had a wishy-washy schedule (it was mostly just a wish list), and I had an amazing first day. I wandered around with my mom just lining up where I felt like it and grabbing stuff that interested me.
- You don’t have to get there at 6am! I got to Book Con at 7:30 but they don’t open the doors until 10:00. While it was nice to get there early and relax while we waited, it was not necessary.
The Best Advise I Received Before Going
- Bring water and snacks – super important. You never know how long lines will be and you wouldn’t want to be caught without food and drink.
- Wear comfortable shoes (and clothes). The floors there are super hard (under the carpet) and I’m relatively young. My feet and knees are killing me from the walking around. I can’t imagine what I’d be feeling like if I hadn’t worn my most comfortable sneakers.
- Be realistic! You won’t get everything you want. It’s just not possible. So, the best advise I received was to be real with your expectations. Be happy with anything you get because it was something you didn’t have before the day started.
Stay tuned for my Day 2 Overview coming tomorrow night!