Title Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5)
Author Sarah J. Maas
Description from Amazon
The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those don’t.
As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.
Aelin’s journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?
Ok so this book is the last book with all my faves before Kingdom of Ash so I NEEDED to read it ASAP.
Some Things I Liked
- Manon and Dorian – I really like them. I’ve seen mixed things, but I love them together. She’s mean and secretly probably the most selfless person in this crew and he’s the only one who sees right through her mean exterior. They belong together.
- Elide and Lorcan – again, they’re another ship that I love. I hope they sort out Lorcan’s stupidity by the time the series ends.
- Aelin – she’s always like 5 steps ahead and she never ceases to surprise. As upsetting as the ending of this book was, I loved that Aelin was in control the entire time. She knew every move before it was made.
- History – I’m so glad we finally got background information on everything. We got history of the witches, Elena, the Galathynius line, everything.
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- LORCAN – what did you do?? I hated that he’s basically an idiot at the end.
I love this series. However, I am not super excited about a Chaol / Nesryn spin off. I like Chaol, don’t really care so much about Nesryn, and definitely don’t need a spin off just about them. I want to skip ahead to Kingdom of Ash. But, this series still has its hooks in me. I will suffer through a spin off in order to get to the epic finale.
What a cliffhanger! I literally would have lost my mind waiting for the next book. Thank goodness I waited until the entire series was published to read this.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas – if you liked this book even a little, you absolutely must read the next book in the series. I am *still* OBSESSED.
- Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvarts – there are a ton of parallels between these series, one of which includes a kick-ass main character. Also, Tilla and Zell’s relationship strongly parallels Celaena and Rowan’s.
- Roar by Cora Carmack – if you liked the elemental magic explored in this book and the idea of different groups of characters traveling around working toward common goals, give this series by Cora Carmack a try.