**Disclaimer: There are spoilers below for Throne of Glass.**
Title Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Author Sarah J. Maas
Description from Amazon
She is the greatest assassin her world has ever known.
But does she have the heart of a killer?
After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king’s contest to become the new royal assassin. But Calaena is far from loyal to the crown. Keeping up the charade – while pretending to do the king’s bidding – will test her skills in an entirely new way. And it certainly isn’t the only point of confusion for the young girl. Because though she’s made her choice between Dorian and Chaol, the ways of the heart are never simple…
I was so excited to start this book. I absolutely loved Throne of Glass. I had a feeling I’d like it, but I had no idea how much I was going to totally fall in love with this series.
Some Things I Liked
- CHAOL. Ok, full disclosure, I wasn’t sure who I wanted Celaena to choose at the end of Throne of Glass. But, I was super happy with the fact that she and Chaol decided to give it a go.
- Books, Secret Tunnels, and Fleetfoot. Seriously, Celaena has the best adventures in her own home. I loved the setting and the world that Sarah J. Maas has created. Celaena didn’t even have to leave home to have epic fights, discover new worlds, and speak to friends (both old and new).
- Speaking of new friends, can we talk about Mort. He’s literally my favorite character. He’s all sass and I can’t wait to get back to the Glass Castle to see more of him.
- That. Ending. What an ending. That’s all I’ll say on the matter. But seriously. I’m reeling.
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- NYHEMIA. I get it. I so get it. But, I also hated it.
I can’t stop. I am absolutely transfixed by this series. Every chapter leaves me wanting more and this book left me with so many questions and theories, I absolutely must keep reading.
This book not only met, but it completely blew my expectations out of the water. The twists, that ending, the heartbreak! Everything was so masterfully done. I can’t wait to continue this series. Celaena is easily one of my favorite fictional characters of all time.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas – if you liked this book even a little, you absolutely must read the next book in the series. I am *still* OBSESSED.
- The Hundredth Queen by Emily R. King – if you liked the competition element of Throne of Glass and the idea of secrets and royals, definitely check out this series by Emily R. King. There are some strong parallels between Crown of Midnight and The Hundredth Queen.
- The Tiger at Midnight by Swati Teerdhala – if you liked all of the moving parts and secrets between characters in Throne of Glass, give this duology by Swati Teerdhala a try.