This is my second OwlCrate box and I have to admit, it was just as good as the first.
Theme Epic Adventures
- Vinyl sticker inspired by Howl’s Moving Castle – this is a super cute design and I really like it. But, I don’t have much use for stickers. I like that it photographs well and I loved that story, but I don’t really have anywhere to stick it.
- A Court of Mist and Fury inspired sleep mask – this is a very high quality item. It’s made well and very comfortable. Again, I don’t have much use for it as I don’t like to sleep with anything covering my eyes. Also, in a shocking turn of events, I haven’t read anything by Sarah J. Maas (I know, that’s basically blasphemy for anyone who says they like YA).
- Passport wallet with a quote from The Hobbit – I like that this is a practical item. It’s in a neutral color (black, my fave) and that the quote isn’t something silly. It’s fun but it’s still something I’d use.
- Stardust quote water bottle – I like reusable water bottles, but I have so many. This item is nice, but once again, not necessary. I’d probably use it in the house, but it’s definitely not something I’d buy for myself as a stand alone item.
- A Darker Shade of Magic pillowcase – as some of you probably saw, I was quite critical of the last pillowcase I received in a subscription box. This one, however, I actually like. It’s a little more “pirate-ish” than I’d normally like, but at least the quote is something I’d like to display.
- Monthly enamel pin – I love this pin. Not only was it designed by Hafsah Faizal (the author of this month’s book, We Hunt the Flame) it’s so pretty. I love the Arabian Nights / Aladdin vibe. This pin is going right to prime placement on my OwlCrate Pin board.
- Art print and letter from the author – the art print is actually double-sided and features the two main characters from the book. I wanted to show Zafira for this picture. I liked that the print matches the pre-order incentive cards that I received earlier this week. Additionally, I always like a letter from the author. It makes reading their work (especially debut novels) that much more personal.
- We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal – I am obsessed with this book. This is my second copy (received another from my Fantasy Monthly Subscription — review on that to come). I haven’t read it yet (I am literally about to go start as soon as I finish writing this post) but, it sounds amazing. One thing I am a bit disappointed in is the cover art. Normally OwlCrate does something pretty drastic for their exclusive first edition and while I like the subtle change (font is gold on the regular edition and silver on the OwlCrate exclusive), I feel almost like it wasn’t enough. It’s still very pretty, but I wanted more drama.
Next Month’s Theme Libraries of Wonder
Use this link to get your first OwlCrate box
4 thoughts on “Unboxing – OwlCrate May 2019”