Title Ignite (Defy #2)
Author Sara B. Larson
Description from Amazon
Alexa continues to harbor a secret love for the newly crowned King Damian, yet she remains by his side as his guard and ever committed to helping him rebuild Antion and reclaim the hope of Antion’s people. However, when a new threat to Damian and his kingdom emerges, and blame is cast on the once friendly nation of Blevon, Alexa knows things are not what they seem. Once again the fate of her country hangs in the balance. Will Alexa be able to protect her king and uncover the true enemy — before it’s too late?
I finished Defy last night and I had to start Ignite immediately. Ok, full disclosure, I binged the entire series between last night and today. I was so excited to dive into this book since I liked the first book so much. I had very high hopes that the story would continue in a way that I would like.
Eljin — I’m so glad we got to see more of him in this book. I knew he wasn’t a bad guy in Defy and I’m glad to see his character got more action time in Ignite.
Somethings I Liked
- The love triangle that wasn’t a triangle. I’m so glad Alexa was never confused about who she loved. She always knew it was Damian and that she only loved Rylan as a brother. Some books drag that kind of stuff out like crazy and I was so happy to see that Alexa knew exactly what she wanted.
- The ending. Once again, I was so happy to see that this book ended in a way that left me desperate for the next book. I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have the last book, Endure, waiting on my shelf. The waiting would have killed me.
- The pace. I thought this was the perfect pace to bridge the first book and the third. Second books are always tricky and I thought this one did its job well. I think we got a lot of background and history on the world and that’s what the second book should be all about.
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- The magic system. I liked that it was somewhat of a background element in the first book and I wasn’t crazy about how it transitioned into more in this book. It’s ok, but it’s not the best magic system I’ve ever read.
I love this series. I literally cannot believe it took me 5 years to read it.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Endure by Sara B. Larson – if you liked this book, definitely continue with the series, it only gets better.
- Dark Breaks the Dawn and Bright Burns the Night by Sara B. Larson – again, if you like Sara B. Larson’s writing, check out this duology that she wrote after the Defy Trilogy.
- The Traitor’s Circle series by Erin Beaty – if you liked the political turmoil and the setting of the Defy series, give this series by Erin Beaty a try. The last book is coming out tomorrow so you can binge read the whole thing!
2 thoughts on “Review – Ignite by Sara B. Larson”