**Disclaimer: I was given a free ARC in exchange for an honest review from the author.**
Title A Trial of Sorcerers
Author Elise Kova
Release Date March 4, 2021
Date Finished March 8, 2021
Availability Free with Kindle Unlimited
Ice is in her blood.
Eighteen-year-old Waterrunner Eira Landan lives her life in the shadows — the shadow of her older brother, of her magic’s whispers, and of the person she accidentally killed. She’s the most unwanted apprentice in the Tower of Sorcerers until the day she decides to step out and compete for a spot in the Tournament of Five Kingdoms.
Pitted against the best sorcerers in the Empire, Eira fights to be one of four champions. Excelling in the trials has its rewards. She’s invited to the royal court with the “Prince of the Tower,” discovers her rare talent for forbidden magic, and at midnight, Eira secretly meets with a handsome elfin ambassador.
But, Eira soon learns, no reward is without risk. As she comes into the spotlight, so too do the skeletons of a past she hadn’t even realized was haunting her.
Eira went into the trials ready for a fight. Ready to win. She wasn’t ready for what it would cost her. No one expected the candidates might not make it out with their lives.
Everyone should know by now that I am a huge Elise Kova fan. And, while it was initially a smidge disappointing to be going back to the Air Awakens world without Vhalla, I was excited to give Eira a chance.
Some Things I Liked
- Cullen. Yes, he’s the first thing I’m listing. He was my absolute favorite. The slow burn romance and tension between Cullen and Eira is top notch and I can’t wait to see where their relationship goes.
- Competition setting. I also really liked the idea of a competition between the sorcerers to see who would travel and represent Solaris. I loved the different trials and was on the edge of my seat during each one.
- Cameos from old favorites. I loved how many characters from the other series made appearances in this book. ATOS has a distinct plot and spin off vibe but Elise perfectly nods to some of the characters and events that led up to this series (without major spoilers).
This series is seriously on the path to be my favorite Elise Kova series yet! I can’t wait to read the next book and it’s going to be a long year while I wait!
I adored this book. Eira is a spectacular main character and the set up in this story left me desperate for more in the series.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Air Awakens by Elise Kova – if you haven’t read the original series, Air Awakens, I strongly recommend it. ATOS spoils a bit of the ending but there is so much to that series that ATOS doesn’t even begin to describe. Despite knowing how you think it will end, definitely don’t miss Elise’s other series.
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – if you’re looking for enemies to lovers, competitions, and characters that will break your heart in the best way, look no further than the Ember Quartet.