Title Air Awakens
Author Elise Kova
A library girl with a secret. A dark and fiery prince. When he awakens her magic, there’s no going back.
The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.
Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in her quiet world of books. But after she unknowingly saves the life of one of the most powerful sorcerers of them all–the Crown Prince Aldrik–she finds herself enticed into his world. Now she must decide her future: Embrace her sorcery and leave the life she’s known, or eradicate her magic and remain as she’s always been. And with powerful forces lurking in the shadows, Vhalla’s indecision could cost her more than she ever imagined.
Release Date August 27, 2015
I’ve had this series on my radar for a while now. I’m so glad I finally decided to read it. Honestly, the length intimidated me a bit. It’s five books in this series, a five book sequel series, and a three book spin off series. That’s thirteen books to get lost in and I have so many other books I need to read!
Some Things I Liked
- World building. I loved the world building in this story. I loved the political storyline as well as the different characters’ feelings about the Solaris Empire in general.
- Magic system. Again, I loved the magic system. I loved that magic wasn’t a deux ex machina kind of bandaid for the problems of the world. Magic was feared by many, including Vhalla. I thought her journey of accepting her magic was really intriguing.
- Avatar the Last Airbender meets Throne of Glass. I don’t really think I need to explain this one.
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- The romance, or lack there of. I respect the whole slow burn and enemies to friends to lovers angle but SERIOUSLY, gimme the romance! I just wanted more because I love Vhalla and Aldrik so much. They must get together.
I’m totally hooked on these characters. Elise Kova has written a world that completely sucked me in. I can’t wait to keep reading.
I really enjoyed this book. I’m so glad I finally started this series. Full disclosure, I already binged the entire thing. I’m just finally putting my thoughts to paper. This series is perfect for fans of SJM and epic fantasy.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Fire Falling by Elise Kova – while I haven’t reviewed this title yet, I have read it and boy is it a doozy. Elisa Kova really ramps up the drama in this second installment and it’s not to be missed.
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas – do I really need to justify why I think everyone should read this series? But, seriously, if you enjoyed the high fantasy moments as well as the budding romance between Vhalla and Aldrik, try this series.