**Disclaimer: I was given a free ARC in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.**
Title Crown of Bones
Author A.K. Wilder
Release Date January 5, 2021
Date Finished January 3, 2021
Raise. Your. Phantom.
In a world on the brink of the next Great Dying, no amount of training can prepare us for what is to come…
A young heir will raise the most powerful phantom in all of Baiseen.
A dangerous High Savant will do anything to control the nine realms.
A mysterious and deadly Mar race will steal children into the sea.
And a handsome guide with far too many secrets will make me fall in love.
My name is Ash. A lowly scribe meant to observe and record. And yet I think I’m destined to surprise us all.
I was super excited to receive an ARC box from Entangled Teen for this book. First of all, their ARC boxes are always top notch with amazing extras and photo props. Second, this book is stunning. Third, this sounds so up my alley!
Some Things I Liked
- High fantasy. I don’t read that much YA high fantasy. It’s so weird, because it’s probably my favorite kind of fantasy, but alas, I don’t read it enough. I loved that this book had so many high fantasy elements.
- Multiple POVs. I adored all of the different POVs. It made the story seem so much richer and kept the secrets and lies so much more interesting.
- World building. I’m so into this world and society of Amassia.
- Pirate vibes. I had no idea there were going to be pirates or a sea theme and I loved every second of it. When the team disembarked from the first boat I was a bit disappointed but was thrilled when a second ship arc came at the end of the story.
- The romance. When I started the book I was all about Marcash (that’s what I’m calling the Marcus / Ash ship) but after getting to know Kaylin a bit better, I’m here for Kaylash. We’ll find someone nice for Marcus in the next book.
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- Density of the world building. Getting into the names, concepts, etc, was a bit difficult when I started this book. I enjoyed the world building tremendously, but it was a steep learning curve.
I can’t wait to read the next book in this series. That ending 🤯
I think this was a debut novel and it was a great way to start. I will definitely be reading more of A.K. Wilder’s books in the future.
I really enjoyed this book. I’m excited for the sequel and I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who likes high fantasy.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- House of Bastiion by K.L. Kolarich – if you like rich world building and high fantasy, check out this new indie series.
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas – I know, I always recommend this, but it’s my favorite! If you like high fantasy, and somehow haven’t read this series, now’s the time!