Title A Reaper at the Gates
Author Sabaa Tahir
Beyond the Martial Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.
Helene Aquilla, the Blood Shrike, is desperate to protect her sister’s life and the lives of everyone in the Empire. But she knows that danger lurks on all sides: Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable and violent, while Keris Veturia, the ruthless Commandant, capitalizes on the Emperor’s volatility to grow her own power–regardless of the carnage she leaves in her path.
Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But in the hunt to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would help her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she’d have to fight.
And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that demands his complete surrender–even if that means abandoning the woman he loves.
Release Date June 12, 2018
Once again, I closed A Torch Against the Night and minutes later, opened A Reaper at the Gates. I could not stop reading. Besides the extreme timeline I set for myself (I finished Reaper at 11:30pm on November 30th and stayed up to start A Sky Beyond the Storm immediately at midnight), I am absolutely in love with this series.
Some Things I Liked
- Avitas Harper. If he’s not endgame, I will just lose it! He is by far my favorite side character.
- Helene. Oh, Helene. I don’t even know what to say. I just love her character. She’s been tried, tested, broken, and brought back and she’s stronger every time. I’m officially at the point that I will be more heartbroken if Helene doesn’t get a HEA than if Elias and Laia don’t. Helene is definitely my favorite character.
- Once again, I was astonished at the plot twist. How dare Sabaa Tahir surprise me like that!
- Sabaa Tahir feeding off my despair. She must eat the tears of readers for breakfast because she broke me with this book. BROKE ME. And, I loved every second of it.
“When you are weak, look to the battlefield. In battle, you will find your vigor. In battle, you will find your strength.”
“The strength of the butcher bird is the strength of the Empire, for she is the torch against the night. Your line will rise or fall with her hammer; your fate will rise or fall with her will.”
I said it above. I finished this book minutes before the release of the last book. I’m completely hooked on this series.
Reaper might have been my favorite so far. This book had so much growth for my favorite, Helene. I loved every second of this heart-pounding saga and I can’t wait to see how it all ends.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- A Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa Tahir – **yells** if you read the first three and don’t finish this series, we can’t be friends.
- Dark Shores by Danielle L. Jensen – if you enjoyed the legion and Roman inspiration in this series as well as the multiple POVs, try this series. Book 3 as well as a prequel novella are set to come out early in 2021.