**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review from the publisher. Please also note, the below post contains spoilers for the first book in this series, Dark Shores.**
I’d like to begin by thanking The Fantastic Flying Book Club and the publisher for choosing me to be a part of this tour. Please check out the other stops along the tour for other reviews, playlists, and other fun posts about this book and the author, Danielle L. Jensen.
Prize: Win (1) of (4) copies of DARK SKIES by Danielle L. Jensen (US Only)
Starts: May 5th 2020
Ends: May 19th 2020
Title Dark Skies (Dark Shores #2)
Author Danielle L. Jensen
Release Date May 5, 2020
Publisher Tor Teen
Description from Amazon
A RUNAWAY WITH A HIDDEN PAST
Lydia is a scholar, but books are her downfall when she meddles in the plots of the most powerful man in the Celendor Empire. Her life in danger, she flees west to the far side of the Endless Seas and finds herself entangled in a foreign war where her burgeoning powers are sought by both sides.
A COMMANDER IN DISGRACE
Killian is Marked by the God of War, but his gifts fail him when the realm under the dominion of the Corrupter invades Mudamora. Disgraced, he swears his sword to the kingdom’s only hope: the crown princess. But the choice sees him caught up in a web of political intrigue that will put his oath – and his heart – to the test.
A KINGDOM UNDER SIEGE
With Mudamora falling beneath the armies of the Corrupter, Lydia and Killian strike a bargain to save those they love most—but it is a bargain with unintended and disastrous consequences. Truths are revealed, birthrights claimed, and loyalties questioned—all while a menace deadlier and more far-reaching than they realize sweeps across the world.
I was super excited to be chosen for this book tour. I’ll be honest, I applied for this book on NetGalley before the tour was announced and was already reading my e-ARC when the announcement came out. Dark Shores had such an interesting premise and I loved the idea of a companion, rather than sequel novel for book 2.
Some Things I Liked
- A companion rather than a sequel. I loved that the story in Dark Skies takes place at the same time as Dark Shores. It’s so refreshing to see all the unanswered questions in the first book being filled in by a different POV in the second book. The multiple POVs already give this book a richness but having twin storylines really makes me feel like I understand all angles of this world.
- Lydia and her glasses. As a glasses-wearer myself, I felt like I bonded with Lydia on a unique level. Let’s be honest, fantasy novels rarely use glasses (an underrepresented group in my opinion 🤓), but I loved that Lydia felt so real. Danielle L. Jensen is so consistent with her details and I really love that about this series. The glasses are just a small representation of the air-tight plot and details this series employs.
- Killian as my new book boyfriend. I really never thought I would get over the fact that Rowan Whitethorn is not only taken, but fictional. Until I met Killian. He’s my new fave. Danielle L. Jensen once again has a serious talent for writing characters that I desperately wish were real.
- A super unique setting. The first book, Dark Shores, felt very inspired by legions and Roman history. However, Dark Skies introduced us to so much more of the western regions of Reath and I saw the inspiration grow into a totally unique world. I loved seeing this evolution.
I can’t wait for the next book. Danielle L. Jensen just announced the title on Instagram and, drumroll please….. GILDED SERPENT will be out in the world on March 21, 2021. What will I be doing while I wait? Probably rereading Dark Shores, Dark Skies, and every other book Danielle has ever written while I wait.
But, I will DEFINITELY be reading the next book in this series.
I’m obsessed with this series. I loved everything about this book and I can’t wait for more. I love the way the series has multiple books with concurrent timelines. I also can’t wait to re-read this series (or maybe listen to them on audio the second time around) before I read the next book. This series has such high re-read potential and I can’t wait to experience that.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Dark Shores by Danielle L. Jensen – so technically, Dark Skies is denoted as “book 2” in this series but both books take place at the same time. After reading both, I am confident that you could read either book first as there are no spoilers in either book that would ruin the other book. If you read Dark Skies first, I would strongly recommend reading Dark Shores next.
- The Bridge Kingdom by Danielle L. Jensen – if you enjoy Danielle’s writing and you like audiobooks, I can’t recommend The Bridge Kingdom series enough. Although there are print books available now, the series was originally written to be an Audible title and the voice actors are phenomenal. Please note, The Bridge Kingdom is an more New Adult / Adult while Dark Shores leans more toward YA.
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – if you liked the Roman / legion inspiration behind the Dark Shores / Dark Skies series, definitely try this quartet by Sabaa Tahir. The final book will be out this Fall.
- Gilded Serpent by Danielle L. Jensen – the next book in this series is going to have all four POVs. Obviously, I haven’t read this one yet (Tor Teen, I’m ready whenever you are 😉), but I can’t wait to see what these characters get up to when all together.
Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/author/Danielle-L-Jensen
Google Books: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Danielle_L_Jensen_Dark_Shores?id=27ZrDwAAQBAJ
The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club – Welcome Post
Moonlight Rendezvous – Review + Favourite Quotes
Books Over Everything – Review + Instagram
Indie and Diverse – Review + Playlist + Favourite Quotes + Instagram
booksandstrokes – Review + Instagram
Grownup Fangirl – Promotional Post + Instagram