Title These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks #1)
Author Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
Description from Amazon
England, 1883. Recovering from a devastating loss, Evelyn has become determined to use her powers to save other gifted people from those who would study and oppress them. But when her rescue of a young telekinetic girl goes terribly wrong, Evelyn finds herself involved with a secret society devoted to recruiting and protecting people like Evelyn and her friends.
Like magic, Evelyn’s problems start to disappear. Her reputation is repaired, her friends are provided for, and her parents are thrilled at all her new suitors. She’s even been reunited with the dashing Mr. Kent and the reclusive Mr. Braddock (who is much less brooding now that the society is helping him to control his dangerous power). Yet, somehow Evelyn can’t help fearing that there is something sinister going on…
I loved the setting in the first book and thought the overall story was very interesting. As soon as I finished the first book, I downloaded the next. The narrator for this series is fantastic and I couldn’t wait to continue the story.
Some Things I Liked
- Once again, I loved the banter, the setting, and the writing style (just like the first book). Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas didn’t miss a beat in this second installment of this series.
- The love triangle that really wasn’t a love triangle. While Mr. Kent obviously has strong feelings for Evelyn, I was really glad to see the way Evelyn handled it.
- The new characters! I loved the new characters. Catherine and Miss Chen are perfect additions to the cast of characters. The new powers that were introduced also make the parallels to X-Men even stronger (which I totally appreciate).
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- More Sebastian! I was so disappointed in the total lack of Sebastian Braddock in this book! Although I do love Mr. Kent’s amazing dialogue, I desperately missed Mr. Braddock’s perpetual brooding and his fights with Evelyn.
I love this series. I love a good binge read (or listen in this case), and this series is perfect for that. I am glad I started it after all the books were released because the suspense between books would have killed me.
Bonus Fun Fact
I love the title of this book. As I mentioned in my post, Bookish News – Ruthless Gods Cover Reveal, I love the word ruthless. I love a book with ruthless in the title.
Another quick listen, I blew through this one. Started on Wednesday morning and finished on Thursday night. I am really enjoying this series. BUT, I just learned that the third book, These Vengeful Souls is not available as an audiobook. I won’t be able to finish this book until next week at the earliest which totally disappoints me. This series is super captivating and I am really going to miss the narration.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Love, Lies, and Spies by Cindy Anstey – if you liked the Jane Austen vibes and you like main characters who keep secrets from each other, give this book by Cindy Anstey a try.
- A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn – again, if you like the setting, Jane Austen worthy banter, and mystery in this book, give the Veronica Speedwell series by Deanna Raybourn a try.
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco – again, if you like the setting, the banter, and strong willed female lead characters, do yourself a favor and check out this series by Kerri Maniscalco. You won’t be able to put it down.