Since fully diving into bookstagram, I have recently subscribed to a few book subscription boxes. I had tried other types of subscription boxes in the past (mostly for makeup and hair products) but, I usually found that out of the items included, I only ended up using 1 maybe 2 out of 5-7. I wanted to see if that would be true of bookish boxes.
This was my first Shelf Love Crate box and I definitely have some opinions about the items included. The theme for the month was Saints and Sinners.
- Signed first edition of Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan — I didn’t love this because I had already received signed copies from two other boxes this month. I wish the book subscriptions didn’t overlap books.
- Wicked Saints inspired bookmark — this, I liked. Bookmarks are small and look nice in pictures. I also like to be matchy-matchy when I read so I thought this was a good item to include.
- Key temporary tattoo — Sorry, not sorry, but I haven’t worn a temporary tattoo since about elementary school. I don’t need this included. Give me a bookmark, a sticker, art prints, something, anything else. Not something 9-year-old MK would want.
- Excerpt from Kingdom of Exiles by Maxym Martineau — I liked this. It’s a teaser for a book that I wasn’t necessarily considering until I received this box.
- Nevernight inspired bookmark — while I like bookmarks normally, this isn’t a fandom that I’m a fan of (pardon the pun). It’s ok, but semi-useless for me since I have no intention of reading this series.
- Grisha Series inspired chess pieces — again, these are cute, but kind of useless to me. I like the idea of the pieces but they don’t really photograph well and I don’t have any use for them.
- Grisha Trilogy inspired pillowcases — these have such pretty colors and such weird quotes. Who would want these on their bed? Not me, that’s who.
- There was supposed to be a sticker included as well but my box did not appear to have it. I’m sure I could contact support, but I don’t care that much about it.
Overall, I liked some of the items but I definitely learned a valuable lesson about juggling multiple subscriptions. (You end up with a bunch of the same book). Several of these items are useful and will make good props for future photo shoots but nothing in this box was anything I couldn’t live without.