Author Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward
The last thing I needed was to share an Uber with Scrooge—a cocky lawyer on a snowy Christmas Eve. It was bad enough I was on my way to court for the gift of eviction.Although maybe today wouldn’t turn out so bad after all.The Sexy Scrooge and I started to connect as we trudged our way through a storm. Our ride was about to end. But would I ever see him again?
The Merry Mistake
Note to self: Ask Santa for glasses this year. When I accidentally mistook a gorgeous man resting outside my building for a homeless person in need of lunch, we got into it. I’d only been trying to do a good deed around the holidays, but he called me righteous. I called him something far worse. If only I didn’t have to see him again. But fate had other plans.
Kissmas in New York
It was just supposed to be a simple kiss with a stranger. I’d done it to prove a point—that I hadn’t lost my sense of adventure. But you know what they say about the best laid plans. Maybe I’d get something in my stocking after all this holiday season…
Release Date December 1, 2019
I was excited to stumble upon this audiobook on Audible. I won’t lie, I’m in a real holiday mood and I wanted to listen to more holiday-themed books. Also, I’m trying to hit a certain number for GoodReads this year so shorter books or audiobooks are my friend right now.
Some Things I Liked
- I loved that this was a short audiobook. All in, it took me about an hour to listen to all three stories.
- Witty banter. Literally a staple for all rom-coms I read. This book had no shortage of witty and hilarious conversations. I loved that about this book. All of our main characters were snarky and fun to listen to.
- Fun but mixed with some more serious themes. I also liked the realism in these short stories. Meredith had legal troubles, Piper had health issues, and Margo was going through a terrible divorce. While I love a happily ever after ending, I liked that each story felt real and wasn’t a complete fairytale.
One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About
- Short stories. Normally, I’m all about novella length or shorter stories but I wanted more here. I really loved the characters and I could easily have seen their stories expanded to more.
I’d love to see more stories with these characters. Similarly, I love the set ups. I’d definitely read another anthology by these authors.
I enjoyed this anthology. My only complaint was that I wish the stories were longer. I think the first story in particular could have been fleshed out further and I’d have enjoyed seeing that. Overall, this was a fun, fast, holiday-themed listen.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- The Christmas Pact by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward – if you enjoyed the writing style here, try this full length novel. It’s a ton of Christmas fun.
- Jingle Wars by R. Holmes and Veronica Eden – if you enjoyed the enemies to lovers themes here and are looking for another Christmas setting – try this new release.
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne – if you liked the enemies to lovers / work colleagues vibe, try this full length novel, it was great on audio.