**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review from the author**
Author Jodie Lynn Zdrok
Description from Amazon
Sixteen-year-old Nathalie Baudin writes the daily morgue column for Le Petit Journal. Her job is to summarize each day’s new arrivals, a task she finds both fascinating and routine. That is, until the day she has a vision of the newest body, a young woman, being murdered—from the perspective of the murderer himself.
When the body of another woman is retrieved from the Seine days later, Paris begins to buzz with rumors that this victim may not be the last. Nathalie’s search for answers sends her down a long, twisty road involving her mentally ill aunt, a brilliant but deluded scientist, and eventually into the Parisian Catacombs. As the killer continues to haunt the streets of Paris, it becomes clear that Nathalie’s strange new ability may make her the only one who can discover the killer’s identity–and she’ll have to do it before she becomes a target herself.
Release Date February 12, 2019
This book is so my jam it’s not even funny. I saw it on NetGalley a while back and wanted to apply but I had too many other books on my plate and missed my chance. When I saw the FFBC was hosting a tour for the sequel, I knew it was finally my chance to read this series.
Some Things I Liked
- Paris. I love books set in France, specifically, Paris. There’s something so magical and amazing about the city and I thought it suited the story so well.
- MURDER MYSTERY. I absolutely love a good murder mystery and that’s what this story was at it’s core. Sure there were supernatural elements and a sprinkle of romance, but this was about crime solving and I just couldn’t get enough.
- Jack the Ripper vibes. Once again, I loved the nods to the famous case while still maintaining an utterly unique criminal and premise.
- The romance. It was just enough. Perfect for the time period and not overwhelming to the mystery plot in the slightest.
As stated above, the tour I’m part of is actually for the second book in this series. Even if I wasn’t on a tour, I’d want to start the second book immediately because this book was amazing.
I loved this book. I read it in under 24 hours (despite other books I should have read first 😂). I can’t wait to continue with this series. Thank you so much to the author and the FFBC for providing me with a copy of both books.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco – if you liked the time period and murder mystery vibes, especially those scenes involving the morgue, you absolutely must try this series by Kerri Maniscalco.
- These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas – if you enjoyed the time period as well as the supernatural elements of this book, try this trilogy. It’s set in London but there are many similarities.
- A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro – if you enjoyed the detective and murder vibes of Spectacle but are looking for a more modern setting, try this Sherlock Holmes retelling.
- Sensational by Jodie Lynn Zdrok – if you liked this one, try the next book in the series. I’m just starting it now, but I have no doubt, it will be equally amazing.
3 thoughts on “Review – Spectacle by Jodie Lynn Zdrok”