Title Murder on the SS Rosa A Ginger Gold Mystery (Ginger Gold #1)
Author Lee Strauss
Description from Amazon
Murder’s a pickle.
It’s 1923 and young war widow fashionista Ginger Gold makes a cross-Atlantic journey with her companion Haley Higgins to London, England, to settle her father’s estate. When the ship’s captain is found dead, Ginger is only too happy to lend her assistance to the handsome Chief Inspector Basil Reed.
The SS Rosa delivers a convincing array of suspects – the wife, the mistress, a jealous crewmate. To Ginger’s dismay, her name has been added to the list!
With a little help from Ginger’s dog Boss, Ginger and Haley navigate the clues (those wartime operative skills come in handy). They must solve the case and clear Ginger’s name before they dock – and oh, whatever shall she wear?
As soon as I read the description of this book, my first thought was, finally, a Downton Abbey murder mystery – my dreams are coming true!
Some Things I Liked
- Ginger’s age. I like that the main character in this series is 30. She’s older and more mature than the characters I’ve been reading about lately and I welcome the change of pace. Furthermore, I think it really helps making her investigative skills believable.
- BOSS. I thought Fleetfoot was my forever fictional pet, but Boss is slowly taking over as my number 1. I’d love a little sidekick like him.
- Subtle romance and strong focus on murder. I loved that there’s a sprinkle of romance here but the star of the show is the crime and investigation.
- Length. This was a quick listen and the story felt complete. Not too long and not too short.
I loved that this book ended on a cliffhanger (those are words I never thought I would say). But, with her first murder solved, I was so glad to see that Ginger already has another lined up. I can’t wait to read the next book.
I love this series! I can’t wait to keep listening (and I hope Audible releases the rest of the series soon). For now, I’ll have to settle for the first 6 books.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco – if you liked the murder and forensic science themes in this book, definitely check out the Stalking Jack the Ripper series. It takes place a bit earlier in history than Ginger Gold but has a lot of the same feelings.
- A Brazen Curiosity by Lynn Messina – again, this one is set before Ginger Gold, but if you liked the mystery, lady detective, witty banter, and clean romance in Ginger Gold, check out this cozy mystery series by Lynn Messina
- A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn – slow burn romance, London, murder, do I need to go on? Do yourself a favor, check out this series.