I’ve been a reading machine so far in 2019, currently working on my 73rd book. But it’s not always easy to carve out time and sometimes I read books that make me not want to read again for a while.
Here are some tips to help you get out of a book hangover:
- Try something else. If you started a book and you’re just not feeling it, put it down and try a different book. Sometimes it’s the book itself causing the problem, not you.
- Watch a little tv. Nothing makes me appreciate a good read more than watching a story play out in a different medium. My gears start turning and I think this would have been better like that or this character should have been like this. TV both relaxes me and amps me up. But it gets me to think about storytelling in a different way. It helps me to get a fresh perspective on using my imagination again when I read.
- Try a novella or a short story. Sometimes the feeling of completion is all you need. If you’re trying to hit certain goals, a checking one off might help you get passed the slump.
- Try something lighter. Sometimes the subject matter of a book can be overwhelming. Try to pick up something less dense and see if that helps. It gives your brain a chance to relax a bit and you won’t fall behind on your goals.
- Set goals! I’ve never motivated myself to read more than when I have a goal in mind. My original goal this year was 52 books. I hit that in the first week of March. So I raised my goal. Keep setting goals and pushing yourself.
- Treat yourself. Buy a new book (or a bunch of new ones if you’re so inclined). Studies show that people who are surrounded by books they haven’t read are significantly more likely to read than those who aren’t. Always give yourself something to look forward to. Treat yourself.
- Spruce up your shelves. Nothing makes me want to read more than looking a a beautiful shelf. Rearrange your books in a new way, add some decor, just give the shelves a dusting. You’ll feel like reading knowing how nicely your books are cared for.
- Don’t stop. If you set a goal and don’t meet it, start a book and don’t finish. Don’t give up. You can always get back into reading. There’s never a wrong time and you can never wait too long.
3 thoughts on “How to Get Over a Book Hangover”