**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.**
Author Adrienne Young
Description from Amazon
Trader. Fighter. Survivor.
With the Marigold ship free of her father, Fable and its crew were set to start over. That freedom is short-lived when she becomes a pawn in a notorious thug’s scheme. In order to get to her intended destination she must help him to secure a partnership with Holland, a powerful gem trader who is more than she seems.
As Fable descends deeper into a world of betrayal and deception, she learns that the secrets her mother took to her grave are now putting the people Fable cares about in danger. If Fable is going to save them then she must risk everything, including the boy she loves and the home she has finally found.
Release Date March 16, 2021
I was so excited to read this book. The ending of Fable left me broken and desperate for more and I absolutely adore Adrienne Young’s writing. Sky in the Deep was one of my favorite reads of 2019.
Some Things I Liked
- New setting and new characters. I loved the introduction of Bastian as well as Holland, Ezra, and Koy as characters. I think they would make excellent spin-off characters and I loved the way the story evolved from a pirate story in Fable to so much more in Namesake.
- Saint. Saint, Saint, Saint. What a character. For a guy who hardly made any actual appearances in this book, he was a force. I loved the way Adrienne Young created a character with such enormous reach and presence that he didn’t even need to physically be in a scene to impact it.
- The romance. I have to applaud the realism in the romance. West and Fable aren’t perfect. They fight, they disagree, but they love each other. Also, I loved the addition of a secondary subtle romance for another new favorite character.
- Lightness to balance the dark of Fable. There were some dark themes featured in Fable and I loved the way Namesake rounded those themes out. Certain characters were punished for wrongdoing, others had their actioned explained. Overall, I was pleased to see the way the dark loose ends were tied up.
I adored this series. I would love it if Adrienne Young wanted to continue it in the form of sequels or spin-offs. This world is so fascinating and I would definitely keep reading.
I can’t stress enough how much I loved this book. I was already a fan of Adrienne Young’s writing but this book surpassed my wildest imaginations. I truly loved every page.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young – if you liked the writing style and the fierce main character, try Adrienne Young’s other series. Bonus note, this one is really good as an audiobook.
- Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller – like Adrienne Young, Tricia Levenseller writes epic pirate and viking stories. If you liked the style and themes here, try Tricia Levenseller’s books.