**Disclaimer: I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review from the author. Please also note, the below post contains spoilers for the first book in this series, Spectacle.**
I’d like to begin by thanking The Fantastic Flying Book Club and the author for choosing me to be a part of this tour. Please check out the other stops along the tour for other reviews, playlists, and other fun posts about this book and the author, Jodie Lynn Zdrok
Title Sensational (Spectacle #2)
Author Jodie Lynn Zdrok
Release Date February 11, 2020
Publisher Tor Teen
Description from Amazon
The 1889 Exposition Universelle in Paris is full of innovations, cultural displays, and inventions. Millions of visitors attend over the course of several months…so no one would notice if a few were missing, right? Maybe—but someone is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the guillotine with a display of their own: beheaded victims in some of the Exposition’s most popular exhibits.
Nathalie Baudin’s ability to see murder scenes should help, but she’s suffering the effects of her magic more than ever before. Fortunately she has other Insightfuls to team up with—if they can be trusted.
I had seen this series on NetGalley and it sounded right up my alley. Unfortunately, I had a pretty full NetGalley line up last year and early this year (who am I kidding, I still do), so I missed my chance to apply. However, as luck would have it, The Fantastic Flying Book Club offered the chance to read this series and be a part of the tour. I was so excited to apply.
Some Things I Liked
- Paris. I have a bit of an obsession with France, particularly, Paris. I love stories set there. Furthermore, I loved the setting in this book. The time period was amazing, there was so much going on historically and the descriptions were so vivid. I felt like I was there with Nathalie.
- Subtle romance. I actually really liked that there was not that much romance in this series. I thought it was present but not overwhelming at all. Nathalie was an independent woman and I really enjoyed her character development without the need for romance.
- Realism. This series had some dark moments. There was murder, character deaths, graphic descriptions of the morgue, and I thought it made the story that much richer. It’s hard to find good YA murder mysteries but I think this series has struck a really nice balance. Dark but not morbid.
- Psychology. I also really loved the elements of psychology mentioned in both books but particularly in Sensational. Nathalie’s aunt is a fascinating character who brings up many questions of the human mind. I loved the way her life was incorporated into the story.
I liked the ending in Sensational, however, I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to more of Nathalie’s adventures. The time period, characters, and premise of this series are phenomenal and I think there is tons of potential for more books. I would absolutely continue reading if Jodie Lynn Zdrok writes more in this series.
I really loved this series. I actually loved it so much, I ordered copies of both books for my home library. I’d love to see more from this series and I really enjoyed the historical fiction setting mixed with a sprinkle of fantasy.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco – if you liked the time period, setting, and meet-cute at the city morgue, you will love this series by Kerri Maniscalco. There is a bit more romance in that series but there are many of the same themes and feelings.
- The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant – this book isn’t out yet (coming in May 2020), but if you liked the setting (late 1800s Paris), definitely add this one to your TBR.
- The Beautiful by Renée Ahdieh – if you liked the time period and French influences as well as the supernatural elements of this duology, try this series by Renée Ahdieh. The Damned, the sequel, is coming out this fall.
- Goodreads: https://fantasticflyingbookclub.blogspot.com/2020/03/tour-schedule-sensational-spectacle-2.html
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0765399717?tag=macmillan-20
- Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sensational-jodie-lynn-zdrok/1131555808?ean=9780765399717
- Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Sensational-Jodie-Lynn-Zdrok/9780765399717?ref=grid-view&qid=1583322493180&sr=1-1
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/sensational-1
- iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/sensational/id1464539352
- IndieBound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9780765399717