**Disclaimer: I was given a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.**
I’d like to begin by thanking The Fantastic Flying Book Club and Swoon Reads for choosing me to be a part of this tour. Please check out the other stops along the tour for other reviews, playlists, and other fun posts about this book and the author, Shani Petroff.
Check out the full tour schedule here!
Title Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
Author Shani Petroff
Release Date January 14, 2020
Publisher Swoon Reads
Description from Amazon
Camryn has been dating Marc FOREVER—since freshman year! She dropped out of volleyball to go to all his games, switched her schedule around to be in his favorite class, and has been busting her butt to get into Columbia so they can go to the same college. So when Marc suddenly, and very publically, breaks up with her a week into their senior year so that he can date the new transfer student, she’s absolutely devastated.
But why be sad, when you can get even? Inspired by her favorite movies, Camryn decides that the best revenge is a Senior Year well lived, starring a boy who is ever so much better than her ex. With a little help from her friends, Cam is going to have the Best. Senior. Year. Ever.
I was really excited to sign up for this tour. I love a good revenge story and this sounded like so much fun. It gave me all kinds of Mean Girls vibes and I love that movie.
Some Things I Liked
- Mean Girls vibes. As stated above, I had a feeling this book would have some parallels to the hit comedy and I was right. From the main character who loses herself along the way to finding herself, to the art show this book gave me so many similar feelings to a movie that I’ve seen like a hundred times.
- References on references on references. I loved that Cam’s favorite activities are watching rom-coms and reading. This made so much excellent room for this book to reference so many things that I love too. I love when the characters I’m reading about like the same things I do.
- Finding yourself. This is a book that I wish I had read when I was Cam’s age. I had no idea what I wanted to do, what my interests were, or who I was at seventeen. Let’s be fair, I still don’t totally know and I’m twenty-seven now (but, I have a much better idea 😉). I loved reading Cam’s story of self-discovery and I think it’s important for anyone who’s ever felt lost.
One Thing I Didn’t Like
- Romance on the back burner. At its core, this is a story of the main character finding herself. Romance was a theme, but it wasn’t the central plot. While I understand why that was the case, I missed the romance element a bit.
I’d like to see more of what Cam and her friends are up to in the future. However, the resolution of Cam’s story in Finding Mr. Better-Than-You, tells me that this is probably the end of Cam’s official story. That being said, I think there is a ton of spin off potential for other side characters in this book.
I enjoyed this book. I missed the swoon-y romance factor a bit here but overall, I thought the story was well done and evoked a ton of feelings from my own high school days. The themes represented in this book are some that everyone has felt at some point in their lives and being able to connect with the characters made it that much more enjoyable.
Recommendations for Further Reading
- Flawed by Becky Bird – if you like cute, contemporary romance stories, definitely give this new release by Becky Bird a try.
- Tweet Cute by Emma Lord – if you like adorable, contemporary stories about finding yourself, give this new release by Emma Lord a try.
- What I Like About You by Marisa Kanter – this book isn’t out yet (look out for it in April 2020), but if you like the social media-centered romance and the secrets the main characters kept from each other, try this upcoming release.
Pink Polka Dot Books– Welcome Post
The Shelf Life Chronicles– Guest Post
What She Will Read– Review & Favorite Quotes
Bookishly Nerdy– Review
The Heart of a Book Blogger– Interview
Books Over Everything– Review
Booked J– Review
Book Briefs– Review
Bookriot– Review & Favorite Quotes
Ya It’s Lit– Bookstagram Mood Board
Dazzled by Books– Review
Books, Tea, Healthy Me– Review
Adventures Thru Wonderland– Interview
onemused– Bookstagram & Review
Indelible ink inscribes– Review
Book Lover’s Book Reviews– Review
Reads and Thoughts– Review
Wanderer in Neverland– Review & Favorite Quotes
Bookishaestha– Bookstagram & Review
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40240685-finding-mr-better-than-you
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250294320?tag=macmillan-20
- Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/finding-mr-better-than-you-shani-petroff/1129098267?ean=9781250294326
- Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Finding-Mr-Better-Than-You-Shani-Petroff/9781250294326?ref=grid-view&qid=1576899565791&sr=1-1
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/finding-mr-better-than-you
- iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/finding-mr-better-than-you/id1471997450
- IndieBound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781250294326